When you have double digits in your bank account and your waiting on invoices to be paid by clients and bills are due, it can become quite stressful very quickly. Being an actor seems to be a feast or famine way of life. Part of the the learning and growing process is certainly to stretch and save the money when their is abundance. Squirrel it away for the dry days. When you are just getting started in VO, this can be easier said than done.
It is on these dry days that it takes every ounce of my being to not throw up my hands and quit. It is on these days where I have to dig really deep and carve out and toss the thoughts of self doubt that eat away at my creativity and drive. It is on these days that I have to remind myself that I am good enough, and I am moving in the right direction.
What will I do today instead of quitting?
- Maybe I go for a run and/or a long stretch first! THEN:
- I will send at least 10 emails to production houses and include my demos.
- I will submit at least 10 auditions into one the P2P sites.
- I will CREATE something that brings me joy. This may be a song, this may be recording a favorite children's book, or writing a story to record.
- Sometimes, I just clean my house, my studio space, my desk space. Sometimes cleaning out and cleaning up and clean your mind of all the gunk!
Bottom line, there is no sense in sulking. Some weeks or months can be tough. But if this is the life you choose, you know what you have to do. You have to work extra hard and put in extra hours. You have to get creative AND you have to believe in yourself!